The Office of International Affairs serves more than 700 international students attending the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. The most important function of the Office is to provide the assistance needed in adjusting to life here in the U.S., whether it is cultural, academic, financial, immigration, or personal. The office coordinates all the University programs for international students and establishes communication with various agencies of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and private organizations. For information, see the website www.louisiana.edu/oia or phone (337) 482-6819.
The following services are provided by the Office of International Affairs:
- Orientation of new students on academics, community life, and services
- Assistance with all immigration regulations to which international students are subjected, especially extensions of stay, transfers, work permits/practical training, and travel documents
- General counseling on academic, financial, and personal matters
- Administration of a basic and major medical insurance policy for international students and their spouses/children
- Publication of the International Student Newsletter
- Full-time student letters and expense letters for foreign exchange
The Office of International Affairs coordinates the following programs:
- International Friendship Program - family oriented programs from the community enabling students to understand U.S. families, values and customs
- Global Education Program - enables students to speak to community groups and schools about their countries
- Coffee Hour - weekly gathering of international students, with other University of Louisiana at Lafayette students, faculty, administrators, and the general public
At the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, there are organizations, which are international in focus, providing social, cultural, and educational activities for both international and other University of Louisiana at Lafayette students. The International Student Council (ISC) is a council composed entirely of international students. The presidents of the international associations represent their respective countries on the council. The ISC serves to assist international students in adjusting to the environment at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and Lafayette itself. The council promotes interaction between international students and presents their views through various cultural and traditional programs.