Mar 30, 2023  
2015-2016 Undergraduate and Graduate Academic Catalog 
2015-2016 Undergraduate and Graduate Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate Student Appeals

  1. Graduate students who do not meet requirements for registration are not eligible to enter, reenter, or continue in Graduate School. The only method to gain entry or reentry is through appeal to the Graduate Council Committee on Appeals. It is for the student who wishes to gain eligibility to enroll, to request the committee to hear an appeal by:
    1. Presenting a letter of petition to the major department or program outlining the reasons for appealing the case.
    2. Submitting a letter of recommendation signed by the chair of the appeals committee in the program where the student was or wishes to be. Each program must have an appeals committee; if there is no written recommendation from this committee, the case will not be heard by the Graduate Council Committee. A student may present additional letters of recommendation regarding academic ability and maturity. These letters may come from faculty members who have recently taught the student, as well as from employers.
  2. Students who are not in regular status are ineligible to hold assistantships. The department or program is responsible for verifying eligibility for assistantships.
  3. Students who wish to transfer credits older than six years or who do not complete a degree within the specified time (six years for a master’s degree, seven years for a doctorate) must submit a request in writing for a time extension to the graduate coordinator. If the graduate coordinator approves the transfer or time extension, a notation of approval is submitted to the Graduate School for action by the Dean.