May 19, 2024  
2020-2021 Undergraduate and Graduate Academic Catalog 
2020-2021 Undergraduate and Graduate Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


  1. Grade Policies
  2. System of Grading
  3. Final Grade Reports
  4. Change of Grade

A. Grade Policies

University policies concerning procedures for awarding and recording grades generally apply to students enrolled in the Graduate School.

B. System of Grading

  1. The grade of A represents work of superior quality; B represents work of good quality; C represents work of the lowest quality for which graduate credit is given; D represents unsatisfactory work; and F represents failure.
  2. The symbol “W” indicates the resignation or cancellation of the student from the university or the dropping of a course prior to the deadline printed in the Schedule of Classes. The course and grade will be posted to the student’s permanent record but will not be included in the calculation of either the semester or the cumulative average.
  3. Incompletes
    1. A student who is doing passing work but due to unforeseen circumstances does not complete the prescribed coursework may receive the grade of I at the discretion of the instructor. As a course grade, the I yields neither credit nor quality points applicable toward a degree. The grade of I may be converted to a grade of A, B, C, D, F, NC, or CR upon the completion of course requirements, as specified by the instructor, and only upon submission of an official change of grade card. The grade of I must be changed by the date designated as posted in the calendar of events on the University’s website, or it will automatically be changed to an F. Because a grade of F makes a graduate student ineligible to attend graduate school, the student will be permitted to complete that semester only.
    2. Unusual circumstances may permit an extension of the deadline for completing an I. The request for such an exception must be initiated by the student and signed by the instructor, the department head, the Academic Dean of the course, and the Dean of the Graduate School. The extended deadline may not be beyond the last day to change an incomplete grade in the following semester. See the Schedule of Classes for the deadline.
    3. Unusual circumstances may permit the assignment of a permanent grade of I. The student must submit in writing a request for this permanent grade PI to the instructor of the course. If the student’s request, supported by the instructor, is approved by the Dean of the Graduate School, a change of grade card will be initiated by the instructor, approved by the department head, the Academic Dean of the course, then the Dean of the Graduate School. The change of grade card must be received in the Registrar’s Office prior to the deadline stated above. In b. and c., it will be the student’s responsibility to provide documented evidence of the reasons for the request.
  4. The symbols S (Satisfactory), U (Unsatisfactory), and W (Withdrawal) are used for thesis, dissertation and XXXX 594, Research. The actual awarding of credit for thesis or dissertation is deferred until the thesis or dissertation has been received and officially accepted by the Dean of the Graduate School.
  5. The symbols S, U, and W are used for XXXX 899, examinations only. This three-credit course is required of all Master’s students taking examinations, oral, and/or written, who are not registered for any other course. Credits earned in the course are not applicable toward the degree.
  6. The symbol AU signifies that the course has been officially audited. The deadline for changing from credit to audit or audit to credit will be that for dropping a course.
  7. The symbol NR indicates that the instructor reported no grade, but that the student was officially registered for the course and did not officially withdraw. Until such time as a correction is made, the NR is counted as an F, and the graduate student remains ineligible to continue graduate study.

C. Final Grade Reports

A final grade in each course a student takes is given at the end of each semester or summer session. This grade is recorded in the Office of the Registrar and becomes a part of the student’s permanent record.

D. Change of Grade

  1. For the correction of any error made in the reporting of course grades, a student should contact the instructor. If a change of grade is merited after grades are finalized, the instructor will process a change of grade card.
  2. A student may appeal a grade under the procedures specified in the Guidelines for Appealing Unfair and/or Capricious Final Grades.